MAX materials and MXene materials are new two-dimensional materials who have attracted much attention lately, with excellent physical, chemical, and mechanical properties, and have shown broad application prospects in many fields. This is an in depth overview of the properties, applications, and development trends of MAX and MXene materials.
What is MAX material?
MAX phase material is a layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material composed of M, A, X elements in the periodic table, collectively referred to as “MAX phase”. M represents transition metal elements, like titanium, zirconium, hafnium, etc., A represents the primary group elements, including aluminum, silicon, germanium, etc., X represents carbon or nitrogen. MAX-phase materials, each atomic layer is composed of M, A, X, the three components of the alternating composition arrangement, with hexagonal lattice structure. Due to their electrical conductivity of metal and high strength, high-temperature resistance and corrosion resistance of structural ceramics, they may be widely used in high-temperature structural materials, high-temperature antioxidant coatings, high-temperature lubricants, electromagnetic shielding as well as other fields.
Properties of MAX material
MAX material is actually a new type of layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material using the conductive and thermal conductive qualities of metal, composed of three elements with the molecular formula of Mn 1AXn (n=1, 2 or 3), where M refers back to the transition metal, A refers to the main-group elements, and X refers to the aspects of C and/or N. The MXene material is a graphene-like structure obtained through the MAX phase treatment with two-dimensional transition metal carbides, nitrides, or carbon-nitrides. MAXenes and MXenes are novel two-dimensional nanomaterials made up of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and halogens.
Applications of MAX materials
(1) Structural materials: the excellent physical properties of MAX materials make them have an array of applications in structural materials. As an example, Ti3SiC2 is a kind of MAX material with good high-temperature performance and oxidation resistance, which may be used to manufacture high-temperature furnaces and aero-engine components.
(2) Functional materials: Besides structural materials, MAX materials are also used in functional materials. As an example, some MAX materials have good electromagnetic shielding properties and conductivity and may be used to manufacture electromagnetic shielding covers, coatings, etc. In addition, some MAX materials likewise have better photocatalytic properties, and electrochemical properties may be used in photocatalytic and electrochemical reactions.
(3) Energy materials: some MAX materials have better ionic conductivity and electrochemical properties, which may be used in energy materials. As an example, K4(MP4)(P4) is one of the MAX materials with high ionic conductivity and electrochemical activity, which bring a raw material to manufacture solid-state electrolyte materials and electrochemical energy storage devices.
What are MXene materials?
MXene materials certainly are a new type of two-dimensional nanomaterials obtained by MAX phase treatment, like the structure of graphene. The outer lining of MXene materials can connect with more functional atoms and molecules, along with a high specific surface, good chemical stability, biocompatibility, and tunable physical properties, etc, characterize them. The preparation strategies for MXene materials usually are the etching therapy for the MAX phase and the self-templating method, etc. By adjusting the chemical composition and structure of MXene materials, the tuning of physical properties including electrical conductivity, magnetism and optics may be realized.
Properties of MXene materials
MXene materials certainly are a new kind of two-dimensional transition metal carbide or nitride materials comprising metal and carbon or nitrogen elements. These materials have excellent physical properties, including high electrical conductivity, high elasticity, good oxidation, and corrosion resistance, etc., as well as good chemical stability and the ability to maintain high strength and stability at high temperatures.
Uses of MXene materials
(1) Energy storage and conversion: MXene materials have excellent electrochemical properties and ionic conductivity and are popular in energy storage and conversion. For instance, MXene materials can be used electrode materials in supercapacitors and lithium-ion batteries, improving electrode energy density and charge/discharge speed. In addition, MXene materials could also be used as catalysts in fuel cells to boost the action and stability from the catalyst.
(2) Electromagnetic protection: MXene materials have good electromagnetic shielding performance, and conductivity can be utilized in electromagnetic protection. For instance, MXene materials can be used electromagnetic shielding coatings, electromagnetic shielding cloth, as well as other applications in electronic products and personal protection, improving the effectiveness and stability of electromagnetic protection.
(3) Sensing and detection: MXene materials have good sensitivity and responsiveness and can be utilized in sensing and detection. As an example, MXene materials can be used as gas sensors in environmental monitoring, which could realize high sensitivity and high selectivity detection of gases. In addition, MXene materials may also be used as biosensors in medical diagnostics along with other fields.
Development trend of MAX and MXene Materials
As new 2D materials, MAX and MXene materials have excellent performance and application prospects. Down the road, with all the continuous progress of technology and science as well as the improving demand for services for applications, the preparation technology, performance optimization, and application regions of MAX and MXene materials will be further expanded and improved. The following aspects can become the main objective of future research and development direction:
Preparation technology: MAX and MXene materials are mainly prepared by chemical vapor deposition, physical vapor deposition and liquid phase synthesis. Later on, new preparation technologies and methods could be further explored to comprehend a more efficient, energy-saving and eco friendly preparation process.
Optimization of performance: The performance of MAX and MXene materials is already high, there is however still room for more optimization. Later on, the composition, structure, surface treatment and other facets of the fabric could be studied and improved thorough to enhance the material’s performance and stability.
Application areas: MAX materials and MXene materials happen to be popular in numerous fields, but there are still many potential application areas to get explored. Down the road, they may be further expanded, like in artificial intelligence, biomedicine, environmental protection along with other fields.
In conclusion, MAX materials and MXene materials, as new two-dimensional materials with excellent physical, chemical and mechanical properties, show an extensive application prospect in numerous fields. Using the continuous progress of technology and science as well as the continuous improvement of application demand, the preparation technology, performance optimization and application areas of MAX and MXene materials will likely be further expanded and improved.
MAX and MXene Materials Supplier
TRUNNANO Luoyang Trunnano Tech Co., Ltd supply high purity and super fine MAX phase powders, such as Ti3AlC2, Ti2AlC, Ti3SiC2, V2AlC, Ti2SnC, Mo3AlC2, Nb2AlC, V4AlC3, Mo2Ga2C, Cr2AlC, Ta2AlC, Ta4AlC3, Ti3AlCN, Ti2AlN, Ti4AlN3, Nb4AlC3, etc. Send us an email or click on the needed products to send an inquiry.